The Shard is the city hall for the City regime and Callaghan's office.
The Shard was constructed in 2012 by architect J.C. Thomas.
Faith went into The Shard to rescue her sister, destroying the equipment that monitored the City's communications and leaving nine people dead in the process. This was reported as a terrorist attack, allowing sensitive information to flow freely temporarily until the databanks were repaired. Also, a helicopter brought down during the event damaged a part of the building.
The Shard has over 100 floors and it's the tallest building in the City. In comparison to surrounding buildings, the Shard appears to stand between 150 and 200 stories tall. The estimated roof height is about 550 meters. The building contains both commercial and residential dwellings and an observation deck. The Shard holds most of the offices for the government and Mayor Callaghan's office. The higher floors contain large electronic consoles that monitor all electronic communication in The City. The roof of The Shard contains 2 helipads and 3 large antennas.
No photography is allowed between floors 99 and 110. It should be noted that the structure itself was possibly built with cryptic coloration (camouflage) architecture in mind, comprised mostly of the same blue hues as the sky. Aside from visual appeal, the building is designed in such a way that it "blends" in with the city, its outline the only proof of its presence. Given its staggering height, one might say the Shard represents the ubiquitous, "panopticon" presence of being everywhere at once; hinted by being the central hub of collected information across the metropolis.
Mirror's Edge: CatalystEdit
The Shard is the tallest building in the City of Glass and Cascadia. Only eXecs can have access to The Shard. It standing in 18,000 feet high. Another name is Sky City. The Shard have Arrivals atrium at the middle of it. The Shard is on it's own island and can be seen towering over all of the buildings from the sea. The shard has a different design, with 2 large fans near the roof for generating electricity. But the aftermath after Rebecca bombed The Shard make the second fan on the top broken.
- London currently has a skyscraper called, amongst other names, "The Shard". It was the tallest building in the European Union and the 45th tallest building in the world, standing 310 meters (1,017 feet) tall.
- It was built in 2012, just like the fictional Shard.
- The London Shard has commercial and residential dwellings and an observation deck, just like the game.
- The London Shard also has floors 72 - 95 used as part of its Spire. The game, however did not mention which floors are empty, even within its restricted areas.
- The unusual angles at the bottom of the building are similar to that of a real building, Broadcasting Tower in Leeds, UK.
- The Latin phrase found displayed throughout; Finis Coronat Opus; literally means "the end crowns the work", often translated as "the end justifies the means".