Scrip is the main currency used in the City of Glass. It is a digitally based currency, and as such is vulnerable to cyber attacks. One such attack involves a device called a skimmer, a small, electronic device that, when held near someones wallet, will transfer scrip from the victim to the attacker. This attack isn't perfect however, as a gridlink can sense when an attack has taken place.
While generally being off the grid, runners still use scrip as currency.
- Scrip is/was used as a substitute for regular banknotes and as a form of credit.
- They are used as a form of credit.
- They are used to promote spending at corporate businesses.
- They are used where banknotes are limited and cannot be easily obtained.
- They are used by corporations to force employees to buy from specific businesses.
- They are used when the federal currency is not trusted and/or the local economy has failed.
- They are used when the central government lacks the ability to maintain control over certain territory.