Runners are an illegal underground courier group who operate independently from the city's legal security and surveillance measures. As such, they are a popular option of transport for private and sensitive documents and such across the city, being able to completely avoid the intrusion of governmental surveillance.
To perform their jobs, each Runner is taught the discipline of parkour, in which participants use the urban and rural areas to move from point A to point B as fast and efficiently as possible. Runners are adept at moving quickly, vaulting, sliding, wall running and other movements. They spend most of their time traversing rooftops or within urban structures and use the environment to escape from opposition, such as the City Protection Force. Runners are also trained in a variety of street martial arts to compliment their parkour skills, should escape not be an option. Some are also knowledgeable in firearms and weapons use.
Possibly identified by various tattoos, known as "tags", and color-themed clothing, the number of Runner groups in the city is currently unknown, although two groups have been identified. Each group consists of a number of field agents, who physically carry Runner bags and packages from origin to destination. These field agents are directed over radio by Trackers, of which there is at least one in each Runner group. Trackers are usually retired Runners who use their contacts, knowledge and skills gained during their time in the field to create their own Runner organization. They can then either employ the services of another Tracker's Runner to move a package or begin training their own Runners to form an additional Runner group.
Notable Runners and Trackers Edit
- Celeste – noted for her flamboyant style of parkour, she was once a student of Mercury, though she usually worked for Drake.
- Drake – possibly one of the founding members of the Runners, Drake currently operates as a Tracker while creating much of the equipment the Runner groups currently use.
- Faith – a new but highly skilled Runner who was personally trained by Mercury rigidly before being allowed to run.
- Jacknife – an ex-Runner who was known for his parkour prowess during his tenure with the Runners.
- Kreeg – a laid-back Runner who works for Drake.
- Leaf – a Tracker noted for training Runners in combat arts.
- Mercury – a Tracker responsible for training some of the best Runners on the field.
- Faith Connors claims to "live" for this moment, describing the experience as, "All you can see is the sky. All you can feel is the air and all you can hear is your own heartbeat."
- "The Blues" is a slang term for the City Protection Force (CPF) and who hunt down the Runners.
- "The Deadpoint" is the moment that a Runner experiences at the arch of an jump where the Runner feels suspended in the air, neither rising nor falling.
- "The Flow" is the term Runners use to describe the experience of the continued momentum they use to preform various parkour abilities to traverse the city.
- "The Mirror’s Edge" is a term Runners use to describe the state of their existence; "between the gloss and the reality, the Mirror’s Edge".
Pursuit cops Edit
- Main article: Pursuit cops
- Public warnings that label running as a public threat list five telltale signs to identify Runners:
- A fondness for the color red
- Calluses on the palm, knuckle and fingertips
- Telltale scuff marks on their clothes
- Unexplained scrapes, bruises or broken bones
- Unreliable or unexplained absences from work or school